Wednesday 17 February 2010

Apple & Pecan Streusel Pie - Mmmmm !


My blog is feeling a little neglected the last few days. I've simply not had time to update.

Oliver has been a rather poorly little tot. We spent Sunday evening waiting in A & E as he'd been very ill all day - that's four hospital trips and one stay-in in the course of 3 weeks.

I made a few things over the course of last week - including this Apple Struesel Pie in our 10" round silicone cake tin mould
I took it with us to my mother-in-laws and cooked it there for tea. It certainley smelt divine and looked gorgeous. I got as far as flinging a bit on a plate for a quick photo shoot before running off to hospital (yet again) with Oliver. Unfortunately, I therefore never got to eat any - though the in-laws assure me it tastes as good as it looks.
I'll need to make it again to find out !
Recipe
1 pack dessert pastry (premade) - or make a 500g batch of homemade
6 medium / large sized bramley apples
100 grams caster sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
125 grams plain flour
75 grams rolled oats
50 grams roughly chopped pecans
100 grams butter
180g dark brown soft sugar
Method
Roll out the pastry to line the 10" round cake tin - plus come up the sides about 3/4" / 20mm. I didn't grease the mould nor did I paper line it. The pastry is simply put in the mould. If using a traditional tin, you may choose to line it with baking parchment or greasproof paper.
To make the streusel topping, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, soft brown sugar, pecans and oats. Melt the butter and add it the dry ingredients, mixing with your hands to combine. You want it really quite lumpy - not fine.
Peel the apples and chop into approx 1cm dice. I cooked these with the caster sugar and the rest of the spices on a medium to low heat in a pan (unlidded) for about 7 minutes until slightly softened.
Put these on top of the pastry in the round silicon cake mold in an even layer

Add the streusel topping, then put into a preheated oven at approx 180deg C fan for about 40 minutes.
After removing from the oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Place a plate or tray on top of the mould, and turn the whole lot upside down to release. You'll then need a serving plate / tray to put on top (the bottom) to turn it the right way up as the base should be soft and not crispy - and will therefore be quite fragile.
Serve on it's own - hot or cold - or accompany with ice cream / custard for dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !