Thursday 4 March 2010

Madeleines - but they're Caramel Mud Cake !


I've really fancied making madeleines for some time now. Those cutesy little half shell shaped cakes.

Traditionally, they're made with a genoise sponge and ground almonds - but hey - nothing to stop you making them anything you like !

I dug out my madeleine moulds which have been sitting at the back of a cupboard in the shed feeling forgotten. As I'd not used them before and they had been stored up for some time, I washed them in warm soapy water and then greased and floured them before using.

I've never bothered flouring silicone moulds before - though I normally butter brand new silicone moulds when I'm making cakes. However, as I progressed through the method - the mix seemed very dense and sticky... so I decided it wouldn't hurt to help it on it's way.

Recipe

125g of butter
100g white eating chocolate (chopped)
2/3 cup / 150g firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup / 90g golden syrup
2/3 cup / 160ml milk
1 cup / 150g plain flour
1/3 cup / 50g self raising flour
1 egg

Preheat fan over to 150deg C

Put sugar, syrup, butter, milk and chocolate in a pot. Melt (stirring) at a low heat. Cool for 10 minutes.

Put into a mixing bowl. Sift flours and add whisk in. Whisk in beaten egg.




This should make 12 cupcakes. I made 6 cupcakes and 16 madeleines. Cupcakes take 30mins in the oven, madeleines take 12mins

 
Sarah-Jane - http://www.siliconemoulds.com/, March 2010
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !